The parent club of the National Catholic Daughters organization was formed in Utica, New York, June 18, 1903. It became a national organization April 9, 1926. A Catholic Daughters court was formed in Ville Platte June 29, 1919. It was disbanded in 1933, probably because members couldn’t afford the $1 membership dues collected at each meeting.
Msgr. J.M. Bourgeois saw a need for a CDA organization in 1950, and the charter for CDA Court #1674 was granted March 4, 1954.
For over 54 years, Court #1674 has followed its motto, “Unity and Charity,” through its many activities to help the community. These activities include helping those in need, such as the students, religious, elderly, bereaved and the unborn. The local CDA court holds a Golden Age retreat annually and has prayed the Rosary at funeral homes since 1964.
The most notable accomplishment of Court #1674 was the procurement of a Gospel of Life theme statue as a pro-life symbol placed at Sacred Heart and Our Lady Queen of All Saints Catholic churches.
Since its inception 54 years ago, Court #1674 has strived to improve the spiritual and physical lives of the people of Ville Platte and to draw others to Christ setting examples of Christian living. Any Catholic woman can join the court. For more information, contact Regent Mary Jenkins (363-5254) or any Catholic Daughters member.